This is what you will need to do a sprint triathlon: Planning & gear List
Step 2: Set up a training Schedule (see here for an example)
Step 3: Set up any travel plans, (it’s good to stay somewhat local your first time though)
Step 4: Since you may need to ride your bike while carrying everything bring all of the below in a backpack.
What you need race day:
1. a bike I used my mountain bike for my first race which was fine because I just wanted to finish, but subsequently have rented or borrowed a road bike which is really what you want to use, they are so much lighter and faster.
2. a tri suit I got mine through danskin, this is the most efficient way to dress and will save you time on your transitions. Even for the Nantucket Triathlon I did not find that the water temperature called for a wet suit, and personally I find them constricting when I swim.
3. a number belt (see photo below) available at any sports shop.
6. a small towel
7. a water bottle to rinse your feet with
8. water bottle with spout for your bike
9. bike helmet
10. goggles for the swim
11. 1 packet gu or other energy gel I usually eat this when I am half way through the bike. Try it before the race to make sure you like it and are familiar with the texture.